Our client is an up and coming agricultural technology firm servicing the ever changing needs of farmers by offering innovative and creative solutions geared toward yield and productivity optimization. Uniquely positioned in the market, this firm is past start up mode, fully funded, and entering commercialization. This role is an opportunity to be part of something truly special in the industry offering value and real time farming improvements with attainable goals and objectives. This role plays an integral part in the long term success of the organization, partners with farming clients as a highly visible field expert, and offers an interactive process in the research and development of the products. Excellent benefits, long term advancement, and stock options are all compensation strategies for this role.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief Science Officer, this position provides research directing duties, managing field trials; ensuring completion of all required horticultural R&D and field operations activities; gathering, processing, organizing and filing the collected data; statistically analyzing the data; summarizing all R&D results and activities in professional reports and presentations; assisting in composing papers for scientific and/or professional publications; initiating, coordinating and organizing work meetings. This position also assembles highly confidential and sensitive information and deals with a diverse group of important third-party trial managers, team members, and members of the board of directors. High communication skills are essential. Leadership and independent judgment are required to analyze, plan, prioritize and organize diversified workload.
Duties and responsibilities
- Leverage your academic training in Agronomy and Plant Physiology, and your experience in the Ag industry to assist the Chief Science Officer in the creation, organization and administration of all research activities. This shall include -
- Preparing and co-authoring a yearly Research Plan along with updates as you determine necessary.
- Leading all R&D Field Operations
- Preparing professional reports for field trials
- Composing scientific and professional papers for publication in scientific journals, grower magazines, brochures, and the like.
- You are encouraged to initiate and share new ideas.
- Execute managing leadership for all R&D Field Operations.
- Recognize the importance of understanding that the Research Plan is essential to the ongoing commercial success of the company, and not simply for academic publication purposes.
- Supervise R&D Field Operations team members, once relevant.
- Data collection and processing -
- Perform data processing and statistical analyses of raw data, and create professional illustrations for presentations and reports, as required.
- Determine the data gathering process and ensure proper implementation.
- Determine the needed data types and collection frequency along with reporting requirements to support the Research Plan.
- Ensure all research and data gathering is performed in a timely manner and in accordance with best practices.
- Organize and maintain records for all trial designs, results, summaries, communications, and all other relevant materials.
- Follow-up data monitoring systems on-line, report on mishaps/failures, and ensure/oversee timely fixing.
- Ensure acquisition of all required monthly, periodic, and end of season reporting by third party trial managers and data monitoring providers.
- Supervise and confirm the completion of all planned research activities as identified and communicate any additional needs at individual sites.
- Actively initiate and maintain communications with internal team, third party trial managers, growers and farm managers.
- Initiate and coordinate meetings (internal and/or with growers, 3rd parties, and the like) and field excursions.
- Perform administrative tasks as necessary to ensure the completion of the above responsibilities.
- Any additional work as mutually agreed between you and the company.
Required Education and Experience
- • PhD in Horticulture or closely related field
- • Minimum 4 years of experience in management of field R&D or a related area
- • Established knowledge and experience in agricultural data processing, statistical analyses, graphics, and creating presentations
- ·Proven experience in writing professional and scientific publications
- ·Knowledge of office management systems and procedures
- • Leadership in agricultural R&D
- ·Outstanding communication skills
- • Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Power Point, and Word), and highly experienced in statistical software
- • Highly experienced in creating illustrations (i.e. tables, graphs), presentations and reports
- • Ability to meet deadlines
- ·Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy
- • Expert organizational skills and ability to multitask and prioritize
- • Experience and knowledge in project management
- ·Experience in supervising teams
Primarily home-based, employee will work remotely as well onsite during field visits. Routine use of standard office equipment such as computer, phones, printer, photocopier, scanner, filing cabinets.
Field R&D activities include operating measuring instruments, lifting, bending, standing, ladder climbing, photographing, hiking, demonstrating installation of company products, driving to and within field experimental sited, and the like, all required in addition to office work.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours depend on Ag work requirements; to be determined and recorded in writing with the Chief Scientific Officer.
Travel to field studies when necessary. Occasional travel for meetings and conferences may be required. Company vehicle will be provided.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To apply:Click on link and load resume here.
Director Of Research, Development and Field Trials - Pinnacle Recruitment Services (loxo.co)