Our Client is a global leader in the agriculture industry. Located in the southern San Joaquin Valley with offices in Bakersfield, CA, we’re looking for a Plant Breeding Research Tech.
- ·Performs data collection, statistical analysis, summarizes research, and writes reports.
- ·Assists with routine plant breeding program functions, and additional evaluations.
- ·Collect and analyze phenotypic data in the field, laboratory and greenhouse to support plant breeding efforts.
- ·Performs tissue collection, DNA isolation, and molecular analysis to support the breeding programs, including DNA genotyping and sequencing.
- ·Assists in the design and execution of trials in laboratory, test plots, and commercial fields.
Preferred Experience, Skills, and Training:
- ·Bachelor’s or master’s degree in horticulture, agronomy or related field with one or more years of relevant work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- ·One or more years of experience in field-based applied plant breeding program with related field, laboratory, and greenhouse operations and maintenance experience.
- ·Ability to perform molecular biology techniques such as PCR, DNA preparation/extraction, and gel electrophoresis. Experience with high-throughput DNA isolation is preferred.
- ·Experience with next-generation DNA sequencing and processing large DNA sequence data sets is desirable.
- ·Expertise in database use and electronic data capture and ability to manage and statistically analyze diverse data.
- ·Basic understanding of plant breeding and genetics, experimental design principles, plant breeding data management needs, and field plot techniques in an agricultural research setting.
- ·Highly motivated, self-starting, flexible team worker who has a demonstrated interest in plant breeding and cultivar development.
- ·Must be willing to learn and work with others or independently as needed.
- ·Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) or similar software, and basic computer hardware set-up.
- ·Must be able to perform a physically demanding job in hot and humid greenhouse and field conditions while standing for long periods of time.
- ·A valid driver’s license and occasional travel within California is required.