The Shop Manager is responsible for ensuring customer satisfaction and retention through the direction of Shop staff in the performance of quality vehicle repair and maintenance services. Ensure quality, timely service and an effective, productive repair team. Develop and maintain strong customer relations with internal & external customers and attract new ones.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Oversees daily work activities of technicians; makes daily work assignments according to vehicle priority.
- Promotes a safe work environment for technicians; including but not limited to holding regular safety meetings and conducting regular safety inspections.
- Aggressively solicits and attracts new external customers. Maintains and strengthens current business relationships with external customers. Effectively handles customer concerns.
- Ensures service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year by maintaining an on-call schedule for technicians.
- Procures materials, supplies and parts needed to maintain vehicles and vehicle repair shop. Ensures shop equipment and tools are in good working condition; coordinates equipment and tool repair as needed.
- Coordinates inventory with the Parts Distribution and Service Writer.
- Acts as a liaison between HCVS and dealerships.
- Develops, implements and maintains a preventative maintenance program for all company vehicles.
- Supplies consistent, regular communication regarding vehicle status to management, supervisors, and external customers. Organizes repair information to quickly update management on vehicle status and availability. Maintains complete service record for each vehicle.
- Routinely reviews and reports on the cost of vehicle repair and maintenance; makes suggestions and implements cost reducing measures as approved by the General Manager.
- Implements a strong quality control process.
- Maintains and develops mechanic shop staff and their professional and technical knowledge by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees, and by providing educational opportunities.
- Counsels and disciplines employees as necessary. Plans, monitors and evaluates job performance, and conducts performance evaluations for all employees.
- Ensures company vehicle standards of pristine interior and exterior appearance are upheld by staff.
The Shop Manager may be assigned one of more additional duties. These duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Attends all mandatory meetings.
- Serves as primary 24-hour emergency response contact.
- Attends appropriate Continuing Education Classes as needed or required including maintaining ASE Certification.
- As needed based on business volume, acts as a service writer or automotive technician.
- Operates company-owned vehicles and safely operates repair shop equipment.
- Makes proper and timely notifications to management staff regarding issues of importance or unusual occurrences.
- Assists with providing information for investigations of incidents as required.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned by the General Manager.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to work effectively with a diverse range of individuals, teams, managers, supervisors, and external customers. Excellent ability to communicate and work cohesively across Department lines.
- 3-5 years’ experience as a Supervisor, Manager or advisor in the automotive industry.
- In-depth knowledge of fleet service tools, systems, and industry regulations and reporting requirements.
- Highly dependable; available and willing to run the business as needed.
- Excellent management and organizational skills required.
- Must have computer competency including understanding of inventory programs, Microsoft Office Suite, reporting programs, and electronic repair manuals.
- Ability to consistently deliver outstanding customer service to all internal and external customers.
- Understanding of overall business finances including budgets, inventory systems, and cost control measures.
- Must have the ability to work well as a team. Ability to maintain a professional manner and appearance at all times.
TRAINING & EDUCATION
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- ASE Master Technician Certification.
- Valid & current Class C California Driver License.