Our client is a well established leader in the oil and gas industry offering a casual work environment, flexibility in work life balance, great benefits, and room to grow. Located in the heart of Bakersfield with no travel and very little overtime, this is a great opportunity to get your foot in the door for a long term stable employment relationship. Reporting directly to the CFO, this positions offers enrichment in career through mentoring and professional growth. Under the general direction of the General Accounting Manager, the Royalty Accountant will perform a variety of accounting duties that pertain to the escheatment process for royalty owners. The Royalty Accountant is responsible for preparing and reporting due diligence reports and unclaimed property reports to the applicable states in a timely manner. He/she will also create and update policies and procedures for the escheatment process.
- Prepare escheatment reports for all applicable states
- Remit payments to the applicable states
- Reconcile reports
- Prepare monthly reports for the Land department
- Prepare and post journal entries
- Create/update policies and procedures
- Answer questions related to owner royalty accounts
- Assist with external audit requests
Education & Experience
- B.S. / B.A. degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field. CPA candidate or certification is a plus.
- Escheatment accounting experience a plus
- Experience in an Oil and Gas Industry a plus
- Strong knowledge of basic and intermediate accounting principles (experience with the escheatment process is a plus)
- Detail oriented and strong organizational and time management skills in order to meet established state deadlines
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Skilled in the use of computer software and systems including Microsoft Office and accounting systems
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to comprehend instructions as given by the manager as well as the ability to work independently
- Team player who can establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.