Our client, a well-known farming and processing company located in Kern County is looking to add a Corporate Controller to their team. This organization is diverse, growing, and offers tremendous growth opportunities for those who are willing to work hard and prove themselves. The ability to work independently, but also lead a team is critical for this role. We are looking for someone who will take ownership of the accounting and finance departments, implement new policies and procedures, and act as a business consultant to the owners who are dynamic and actively involved in the strategic decision making of this company.
Directs budget and cost controls, financial analysis, accounting practices and financial reporting that will assist management, its owners and other users in making educated economic decisions about the company's future.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Oversee the activities of the corporate accounting department for the accurate and timely dissemination of financial management reports including, but not limited to, internal and external monthly financial statements and annual audits and annual budgets.
- Oversee the activities of the disbursement department, ensuring the accurate and timely processing of accounts payable, purchase orders, petty cash, core employee expense reports, cash control, and total corporate payroll tax compliance.
- Oversee the activities of the accounts receivable department to ensure the accurate and timely management of all accounts receivable aging components including billings, cash receipts application, etc.; funding service management, which includes weekly funding reports and customer service; quarter and year-end payroll closing including federal and state reports; and check statistic management.
- Reconcile payroll reports.
- Ensure periodic bank reconciliations are completed.
- Calculate variances from budget and report significant issues to management.
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit.
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants.
- Assure corporate income tax compliance to assure the accurate and timely completion of all corporate income tax returns taking full advantage of all favorable tax codes.
- Establish and maintain systems and controls that verify the integrity of all systems, processes and data, and enhance the company's value.
- Participate in a wide variety of special projects and compile a variety of special reports.
- Communicate with co-workers, management, clients and others in a courteous and professional manner.
- Conform with and abide by all local, state and federal regulations, filings, reports, policies, work procedures and instructions.
- Prepare other reports as directed by the CEO.
- Oversee the preparation of the annual Business Property Statements; provide information to country property tax auditors.
- Makes recommendations for system changes.
- Financial Management.
- Technical Capacity.
- Performance Management.
- Ethical Conduct.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility.
This position is responsible for overseeing the accounting/finance department, including A/P, A/R, cost control, etc. with approximately 10 staff people.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance.
- CPA certification preferred. MBA preferred.
- Ten years of progressively responsible, hands-on accounting managerial experience.
- Experience with accounting system software and ERP software.
- Agriculture industry experience preferred; manufacturing or food processing experience preferred.