Our client, a well-respected tree nut grower and processor focused on exports.
The Environmental Health and Safety Manager is responsible for driving and developing a strong safety culture. Responsible for implementing programs and training to create a safe and work towards a zero-free injury work environment. Review the company's safety programs and develop and implement strategies. Ensure compliance with all OSHA and Environmental federal, state, and local regulations.
- Develop and implement an organization wide Safety Management system that leads to a world class safe working environment.
- Lead the development and implementation of Behavior Base Safety (BBS) across all business units.
- Engage the workforce in safety awareness and involvement with company's management teams.
- Oversee and manage all safety and environmental incident investigations and identify root cause. Working with Department Managers, identify trends, provide recommendations, and implement strategies.
- Ensure compliance with OSHA Programs such as Heat Prevention Illness, Hearing Conservation, Respirator Program, LOTO Procedures, Confined Space as well as Construction or Expansion Projects.
- Responsible for all regulatory and compliance requirements including but not limited to Air Pollution Compliance, Hazardous Material Business Plan, Wastewater Discharge, and Pressure Vessel permitting.
- Conduct accident, injury, physical damage investigations, ensuring timely completion by Supervisor/Manager incident reports.
- Conduct incident reporting trending analysis to develop leading indicators of safety hazards and near misses.
- Responsible for the creation, development of and implementation of Safety curriculum.
- Manage Safety Training Program and deliver safety training including Forklift Safety, CPR First Aid, Confined Space, Lock-out Block-Out, Fire Safety, Hazardous Communication, and a variety of other safety topics
- Monitor and document all training, maintaining record-keeping associated with Safety, Environmental and Health requirements.
- Oversee all Safety OSHA, CUPA Logs and reporting.
- Participate in Plant audits as required, to include developing strategies on findings.
- Organize and oversee safety inspections and partner with Plant Operations on implementation of equipment regarding safety standards and improvements.
- Perform all duties in accordance with SQF (Safety Quality Food) and GMP (good manufacturing practices) established company policies and procedures.
- Support all shifts, to include periodically providing third shift visibility/training as needed, as well as occasionally present on a Saturday or Sunday
- Create and implement environmental health and safety KPI’s to drive continuous Improvement within the organization.
Training and Communication:
- Identify and communicate required Health and Safety Training activities and assist branches to plan and schedule as required
- Manage and coordinate Safety Conference calls with Supervisors and Plant Managers
- Develop and oversee the Health and Safety component of the New Hire Orientation Package
- Develop and coordinate the distribution of monthly safety communications (“toolbox” talks) for Supervisors to deliver to plant personnel
- Investigate, review and analyze occupational incidents and worker’s compensation claims to identify root cause(s) and recommend preventative actions
- Liaise with Human Resources and Healthcare Management provider to develop and maintain early and safe return to work processes for workers compensation claims
Risk Management (Product Liability)
- Oversee the reporting and provide the necessary documentation related to product liability incidents for third party investigation
- Liase Corporate Officers and Broker on insurance renewal (auto and general liability) and/or ongoing matters
- BS Degree in Occupational Health; Safety Science; Environmental Science; Engineering or related field preferred.
- Designation as a Certified Safety Professional (CSP) by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals, Certified Safety & Health Manager (CSHM), by the Institute of Safety & Health Management, or possession of other applicable certification preferred.
- Minimum seven years' experience in Environmental Health and Safety Managerial role in food processing or manufacturing.
- Proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- Bilingual English and Spanish preferred.
- Strong Project Management and analytical skills.
- Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Analytical: Ability to think conceptually to have impact, ability to understand complex tasks/situations/problems, analyze them using a systematic approach and identify trends or relationships
- Communication: Ability to communicate with tact and diplomacy, excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Customer Service: possess internal customer oriented attitude
- Presentation: Ability to present materials clearly and engage audience
- Problem Solving: Information seeking and achievement orientation, ability to solve problems both independently and collaboratively
- Teamwork: Ability to interact with all levels and foster a teamwork relationship
- Sensitive Material Handling/ Confidentiality: Ability to maintain confidentiality and remain objective while working with sensitive and confidential materials
- Proficient in MS Office
Authority and Decision Making:
Conduct Performance Appraisals
Involved with Corrective Action Processes
Staff Salary Approval
This job operates within the professional office environment and in the field while working at the processing plant. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones,
photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines. Additionally, this job is exposed to mechanical parts, working in high exposes places, various weather conditions, loud noise, and odors.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodations.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is frequently required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full time at will position, and work hours are typically Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as department needs demand.
Travel is primarily local within the San Joaquin Valley during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be expected.
Must be eligible to work in the United States
This job description documents the general nature and level of work but is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all activities, duties, and responsibilities. Job incumbents may be asked to perform other duties as required