Our client, a locally owned and operated construction company, is in need of an experienced Construction Superintendent for their Santa Barbara branch. This position requires at least three years of verifiable experience.
- Schedule subcontractors, consultants, and vendors in critical path to ensure timely completion.
- Perform quality control duties and responsibilities regarding the work being performed.
- Communicate with project team regarding ASI’s, RFI’s, and Material Submittals.
- Ensure that subcontractor is fully executing and complying with his contracted scope of work.
- Coordinate required inspections with local jurisdictions.
- Identify subcontractor non-compliance with safety, health, and environmental quality standards.
- Identify conflicts in construction progress and communicate them to project team for resolution.
- Maintain daily log of activities on the jobsite.
- Ensure subcontractor has corrected all deficiencies identified by project team.
- Walk all units on project daily to monitor activities and assist in future planning.
- Preside over weekly subcontractor meetings designed to coordinate the work.
- Issue notices of non-compliance to subcontractors regarding quality of work or scheduling.
- Ensure that the job site is always kept in a clean and organized manner.
- Perform job progress and completion punch list identification and completion.
- Assist in obtaining permits or approval of revisions.
- Identify areas of work that are outside of subcontracted scope.
- Opening the jobsite at the beginning of the day and securing the jobsite at the end of the day.
The Project Superintendent is solely responsible for the timely completion of the project and ensuring that the project is constructed in strict accordance with plans, specifications, and local codes. Project Superintendent shall schedule all subcontractors, consultants, and vendors, as well as ensure their completion of work within time allowed. The Project Superintendent shall be responsible for the coordination of work directed in the field, providing work is performed in accordance with plans and specifications. Conflicts or revisions to the plan shall be communicated with the project team (i.e. Project Manager, Operations) for resolution, prior to execution of work that deviates from the approved plans. The Project Superintendent shall establish and enforce job site quality control programs to ensure quality completion of construction. The Project Superintendent does not have authorization to engage in monetary agreements (subcontracts, change orders, work authorizations). All requests for monetary agreements must be communicated to the Project Manager for consideration prior to work performed.
Superintendent shall ensure subcontractors provide adequate manpower for each task. Superintendent shall supervise company Contractors' employees: laborers, assistant superintendents, water truck driver onsite.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Provide direction to and resolve problems amongst subcontractors and vendors.
- Ability to identify deficient work and provide resolution.
- Communicate using the following tools: phone, written logs, email, computer, iPad, Procore phone or web application.
- Blueprint reading.
- Endurance and ability to visit entire job site, including stairs or other elevated structures.
- Monitoring jobsite general health and safety, recognizing hazards.
- Client Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional situations; Responds promptly to issues.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on conflict resolution; Maintains confidentiality and professionalism; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and confidently in positive or negative situations; Listens and requests clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly and efficiently.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action to ensure safe workplace, consulting Safety Dept. as needed; Addresses potentially unsafe conditions; Ensures proper use of equipment and materials onsite.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Minimum of three years of verifiable experience; thorough knowledge of trades and be computer literate. Office experience with Procore, Microsoft office (Excel, Word, Project & Outlook) preferred.
- Must be able to travel to the jobsite(s) as assigned with a reliable means of transportation.