Develops broad knowledge and skills in a specific practice area. Evaluates, selects, and applies standard techniques, procedures, and criteria to perform a task or sequence of tasks for conventional projects with few complex features. Collaboratively uses judgment to determine adaptations in methods for nonroutine aspects of assignments. Works on small projects or portions of larger projects.
The Engineer is a key member of a team tasked with providing the following for the company:
- Applications Engineering & Technical Support
- New Product Development & Equipment Design
- Engineering Project Delivery
- Risk Management
- Manufacturing Support & Vendor Management
- Regulatory Compliance & Adaptation
- Project Management
An IoT engineer develops innovative services that help users to receive, control and manage information. They are also in charge of developing and managing a vast array of IoT devices, platforms, software, hardware, and systems through a combination of data, technology and research. The are a key element in converting data into useful information.
The IoT Engineer supports the department’s two primary functions: Applications Support and New Product Development. We believe our applications knowledge gained through our support function makes us better at developing products. We also believe that by developing our own products, we can solve more of our customer’s problems. These principles form the foundation of the engineering team and are the basis for the job duties outlined below.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from a four-year accredited university with one of the following degrees, and 4-years related experience and/or training:
- BS Computer Engineering
- BS Systems and Control Engineering
- BS Computer Science
- BS Electrical Engineering
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
- The primary focus of an IoT Engineer is the creation and development of the devices, sensors and software that allows the device to connect seamlessly with other systems. They research, create, test and document IoT solutions with integrated systems and devices.
- Creating and developing devices, sensors, and software
- Researching, creating, testing, and documenting IoT solutions
- Designing, coding, and testing features of IoT devices
- Providing solutions to issues related to the connection of networks and platforms
- Analyzing user needs and working as service designers
- Developing software that monitors and executes processes
- Designing platform solutions that are cloud-compatible and work with IoT applications
- Developing software that allows IoT devices to function and connect to other devices
- Applying best practice project management principles
- Overseeing development, manufacturing, and installation of equipment
Specific Skills of an IoT Engineer
- A crucial skill that an IoT Engineer must possess is an in-depth understanding of computer programming and network security. They must also have knowledge of sensors, machine learning and AI and must have experience in working with front-end and back-end systems as well as custom-built firmware and hardware.
- IoT Engineers must also be familiar with Big Data and machine learning algorithms and have a firm understanding of IoT architecture and principles as well as device and data security. A working knowledge of common software, as well as being versed in programming languages is also beneficial.
IoT Engineering Skills:
- In-depth understanding of computer programming and network security
- Proficient knowledge of sensors
- Knowledge of machine learning and AI
- Experience working with front-end and back-end systems
- Experience with custom-build firmware and hardware
- Knowledge of software like Netbeast, Neura, OpenSensors and Node
- Expert knowledge of Linux OS
- Familiarity with Big Data and machine learning algorithms
- Firm understanding of IoT architecture and principles
- Knowledge of device and data security
- Work and collaborate well with others
- Strong communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conforms to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Fluid dynamics calculations
- Fluid system designs including pumps, valves, piping, and reservoirs (e.g. fluid transfer, dewatering, irrigation, filtration, evaporation, sewer bypass systems, etc.)
- Thermodynamics and heat transfer calculations
- Applying project management principles to engineering projects
- Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, musical notes, etc.,) in its most difficult phases. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
- Web based Business System Programs
- Microsoft Office
- Fundamentals of Engineering Exam Passed (also called EIT) or Completed Within 2 years
- Ethical stewardship, results oriented, teamwork, problem solving, interpersonal skills, functional expertise
- Creates and communicates the vision, strategic thinking, coaches direct reports, leads collaboratively, embraces and leads change, manages conflict, holds people accountable, financial acumen
- The engineer is occasionally called upon to supervise design and drafting personnel, engineering technicians, or other project team members in a non-direct reporting role. Leading project teams, in an effective manner, is an important duty the engineer must be able to perform.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move and carry items up to 10 pounds. The employee may occasionally be required to lift and/or move and carry items up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, outside weather conditions, risk of radiation, and vibration commonly found on farming operations and industrial sites. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but can be severe when working around equipment. All safety gear is provided by the company for hearing, visual, respiratory, and other physical protection.