Essential Job Functions
The estimator/sales manager must have experience in concrete & rebar reinforcement, coordinating bidding schedule and workload with principals to determine which projects to pursue, and preparing Bid Packages and initiate bidding procedures:
- Obtain all documents for bidding including plans, specifications, soils reports, etc.
- Prepare invitation for subcontractors with bid instructions, bid form, outline scope of work and preliminary schedule.
- Review bid drawings and prepare appropriate list of subcontractors to be solicited for bids. Present subcontractor list and bid documents for distribution of bid packages.
- Forward bid packages to obtain bonds, insurance, advertising and any other required paperwork for the bid.
Coordinate Subcontractor Design Build proposals if appropriate. Prepare Proposal Documents including:
- Proposal Letter
- Clarifications and Exclusions
- Enumeration of the Drawings
- When appropriate complete:
- Owner’s Bid Documents.
- Owner’s online procurement procedures.
Upon project awarded:
- Prepare Agreement for review and signature.
- Prepare Bid Grid for guaranteed maximum price agreements.
- Prepare “Turnover” documents for Project Manager and assist with job set up.
- Discuss proposal related issues with Project Manager during construction and provide additional documentation if appropriate.
- Meet with prospective clients to discuss proposed projects and provide estimated costs based on preliminary information.
- Develop preliminary control budgets during schematic design and design development.
- Provide constructability reviews during schematic design and design development.
- Provide alternate pricing for consideration in determining construction methods and materials.
- Prepare budgeting for value engineering.
Prepare Conceptual Estimate and Bid Proposals for presentation including:
- Thorough review of all bid documents.
- Attend pre-project meetings and / or coordinate site meetings for subcontractor’s site investigation.
- Perform takeoffs and prepare Timberline cost spreadsheet.
- Prepare General Conditions
- Accept questions from Subcontractors and Prepare Requests for Information (RFI’s) for presentation to the Owner/Architect.
- Review Addendums and distribute to Subcontractors with additional direction as needed
- Obtain design fees from Architect, Civil Engineer, Structural Engineer and Landscape Architect if appropriate.
- Prepare estimated costs for permits and utility connection fees if appropriate.
- Review Subcontractors Bids for correct scope of work, clarifications and exclusions and request revised proposals if appropriate.
- Determine lowest responsible subcontractors quote for inclusion in proposal.