Located in Kern County, our Client's team of attorneys specializes in business litigation and employment and labor law. Incumbents in this job classification are experienced attorneys who can be assigned to work on complex, sensitive legal matters with only general supervision and guidance through formal and informal work review. Incumbents in this classification may be assigned responsibility for business and employment litigation under minimal general supervision.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES Confer with and advise clients on legal issues in the designated practice area and as otherwise assigned, including matters relating to labor relations and collective bargaining, personnel, business and construction matters;
- ·Draft and review resolutions, contracts, leases, conveyances and other legal documents.
- ·Prepare pleadings and other papers in connection with lawsuits, trials, hearings, appeals and other legal proceedings.
- ·Perform a wide variety of legal research and prepares briefs.
- ·Provide regular notifications regarding legal developments and matters of current interest to clients.
- ·Maintain regular and proactive communication with clients concerning cases or matters handled by the attorney.
- ·May represent clients in (1) negotiations with employee organizations, (2) grievance proceedings, including arbitrations, and (3) related labor proceedings.
- ·Provide timely and accurate timekeeping information regarding services provided to clients and other office activities.
- ·Meet any requirements set by the General Counsel concerning billable hours.
- ·Perform related duties as assigned.
- ·Legal principles, including civil, constitutional and labor law.
- ·Legal research methods, rules of evidence and conduct of court and agency proceedings.
- ·Basic office methods, practices and procedures.
- ·Standard English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- ·Safe work practices.
- ·Work on complex, difficult, and sensitive legal matters in a highly competent and professional manner.
- ·Respond promptly to requests of clients; provide needed information, assistance, training, materials and resources.
- ·Plan, organize and prioritize own work to meet deadlines and accomplish assigned tasks within established timelines including maintaining accurate records and files.
- ·Maintain an orderly work environment and perform tasks in prescribed and safe manner.
- ·Establish and maintain collaborative, cooperative and professional working relationships with those contacted during performance of job duties, including fellow staff members, client personnel and others.
- ·Maintain and improve professional skills and knowledge.
- ·Be flexible and receptive to change.
- ·Present statements of fact, law and argument clearly and logically in written and oral form.
- ·Travel as necessary to perform the duties of the position.
- ·Use, or learn to use, a computer for preparation of letters and documents and conduct legal research using on-line and electronic library resources.
Experience & Education:
- ·Five years of progressively responsible experience as an attorney representing clients in public or private practice. Three years of experience of litigation reporting.
- ·Graduation from an accredited law school.
- ·Other requirements: Current active membership in the State Bar of California. Proof of insurability for professional malpractice.